10 Surprising Home Remedies
There are so many things you can do at home to help yourself. Here are ten more surprising home remedies for everyday issues.
1. An old adage says “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
2. How about rough or scaly feet? Try mixing two cups of milk on a small tub of warm water, then soak your feet in it for 10 to 15 minutes. A milk bath will soften your feet and increase the effectiveness of using a pumice stone afterwards.
3. Have a pesky toothache? While it may not treat the cause of the toothache, a few drops of clove essential oil dabbed on the affected area can quickly relieve the pain!
4. Do leg cramps wake you up at night? Traditionally, doctors prescribed a drug known as quinine for leg cramps, but it has been discontinued because it can be dangerous in large doses. However, tonic water still contains a small amount of quinine, and drinking a glass of tonic water before bed can offer relief from leg cramps with little risk.
5. How about an upset stomach? Ginger is a great treatment for upset stomach and nausea. It works like a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug! Make ginger tea by peeling fresh ginger root, slicing it into thin slices, and adding it to boiling water. Cover and reduce heat, and let the mixture simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the tea and add honey and lemon for taste. Avoid other sweeteners as they can further upset a stomach. Also, do not give ginger to a child under the age of two.
6. What should you do for insect bites? Try crushing an antacid tablet along with a pinch of plain oatmeal into a small amount of water? Take the resulting paste and dab it on the bites. The aspirin in antacid tablets helps to reduce burning and itching.
7. Feeling the burn of athlete’s foot? Try soaking your feet in mouth wash! Not only does it help to reduce foot odor, but the antiseptic in mouthwash helps to clear up the fungal infection.
8. Having trouble with canker sores? Believe it or not, aloe vera may help you! The cooling effect of aloe vera can help relieve the pain of canker sores. Just apply a small amount of the gel directly to the sore.
9. Did you know that the probiotics in yogurt can help prevent gum disease? Just add two ounces of yogurt to your daily diet.
10. Suffer from dark circles under your eyes? Witch hazel may be the answer you’re looking for. Witch hazel is a natural astringent, and can help to shrink the blood vessels beneath the eyes, reducing puffiness and dark circles. Simply soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and apply it to the area, taking care to keep it out of the eyes.
So there you have ten home remedies. Give them a try and see if they don’t help you out.
Article submitted by Teri PerticoneShare