LOOK ==>>

Riot charges dropped against three more journalists at inauguration protests

The Guardian – By Jon Swaine – Monday 30 January 2017

Police-confront-protesters-in-Washington-DC-Ryan-Harvey-Instagram-800x430
Photo: Police hold back protestors and journalists.

Three more journalists who were arrested while covering protests against Donald Trump’s inauguration have had felony charges against them dropped by prosecutors.

Alexander Rubinstein, Jack Keller and Matthew Hopard had been facing potential 10-year prison sentences and $25,000 fines following their detention by police in Washington DC on 20 January.

Riot charges against the three were dismissed on Monday after the US attorney’s office in Washington DC said in court filings that it would not proceed with the prosecutions. An identical charge against Evan Engel, a senior producer for Vocativ, was dropped last week.

Two other men who say they were covering the demonstrations as members of the media – Shay Horse, an independent photojournalist, and Aaron Cantú, a freelance journalist and activist – remain charged with felony rioting, according to court records.

William Miller, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office, said in a statement that the decision to drop the charges had been reached “after a review of evidence presented to us by law enforcement” relating to the journalists.

Read entire article here

Posted by Teri Perticone

Share

Comments are closed.

Listen Live with Player Below

Archives

October 2017
S M T W T F S
« Sep    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

User Login